Description: This guide will show you how to locate your Windows 10 product key after purchasing a refurbished laptop or computer, as well how to activate it in Windows 10.
1. Locate the Product Key Code, usually located on the bottom or long thin side of the computer. Or on a laptop or tablet under the battery. Microsoft has included a security feature blocking the first portion of the product of the Product Key Code with a smart phone or digital camera once the entire code is visible.
Example of the Product Key Code:
2. Confirm selections and click through to update windows
3. Set up for personal use. Even if you want to use it in an office
IF CONNECTED TO THE INTERNET
4-A. Create/ Login to a Microsoft account
*NOT CONNECTED TO THE INTERNET
4-B. You can setup an offline account by clicking on the bottom left side of the screen
*ONLY FOR OFFLINE ACCOUNTS*
Click the “Limited Experience” button on the bottom left side of the screen
5. Follow the instructions to setup a password and personal preferences
6. Once logged into the desktop, click the ‘Active Windows’ icon
7. Click YES to allow windows to make changes to the device
8. Enter the 25 digit product key code referenced in step 1
PLEASE DO NOT TURN OFF YOUR MACHINE UNTIL WINDOWS 10 HAS FULLY INSTALLED
**Not activating Windows will result in your copy of Windows failing the Microsoft Genuine Advantage. This will restrict you from getting Windows updates or installing additional software including anything from the Microsoft App Store.