What are the main differences between a UK and US keyboard?
Not sure whether you need a laptop with a UK keyboard or perhaps a laptop with a US keyboard would be sufficient for your requirements? We list the main differences below to help you decide on your next refurbished laptop purchase!
The US and UK keyboard layouts are different today because the American version is based on the ANSI (American National Standards Institute) layout while the British version is based on the ISO (International Organisation of Standardisation) layout.
- an AltGr key is added to the right of the space bar
- the # symbol is replaced by the £ symbol and a 102nd key is added next to the Enter key to accommodate the displaced #
- @ and ” are swapped
- the ~ is moved to the # key, and is replaced by a ¬ symbol on the backquote (`) key
- the \ key is moved to the left of the Z key
- the Enter key spans two rows, and is narrower to accommodate the # key
- on laptop computers, the | and \ key is often placed next to the space bar